Skip to main content

Nr. 58

Until recently I have, to the best of my abilities, gone by the creed ‘giving my all for the benefit of others”. I haven’t been entirely successful, but I hope that by pushing this agenda I have been able to give more than I otherwise would if not for this awareness. Despite my effort I can sometimes fall into the unfortunate pit of feeling unappreciated. I convince myself that these are feelings I should easily overcome. But I realize by having these feelings I actually do, even if it’s a small part, hope for acknowledgment. Which renders my gestures quite the opposite of altruistic. I have been thinking about this a lot lately and if my empathy has been misguided, the question I need to ask myself is whether or not I need to reconsider my moral philosophy. I can continue going on like I have but if I look back I can’t really say it has benefited my own life other than the knowledge of having done good to people. Which is and should be enough according to my intellectual beliefs. But I’m beaten and battered, I’ve distanced myself so much that I feel people don’t even dare contact me anymore. 

Now, I could despair and spiral down into an abyss of self pity, or I can change how I think and behave. It’s not easy to change, but the challenge is appealing to me. To renew and grow is something I feel almost confident in accomplishing. The question is whether it’s a good path or not. 

Today was the first time I felt the need to finally start writing more than these inane amateurish blogposts. If I do start, I think I will delve into that universe with not much contact of the outside world. Right now that seem both enticing and sad. But, who knows, maybe I’ll be able to finally accomplish something by taking one step at a time. 


This post went in every direction, much like how my mind works (or doesn’t?!). 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nr. 60

Next month I’m attending a wedding. I’ve been so busy thinking about practical things (like finding a suit to wear and what to bring as it is for a weekend getaway) that I didn’t realize until now that I actually need to socialize. Meaning talk about my current situation. I’m officially on sick leave due to depression which isn’t really the most festive conversation starter at a wedding (or any event really). As much as I really want to celebrate my friends getting married, I simultaneously feel stressed as to have I’m gonna phrase this. I know there are people out there with far greater difficulties than me, even within my friend circle probably, which makes me even more frustrated about my worry. I’m positive I will get through it of course. I even know despite my definite self torment of reviewing my ‘performance’ I will get by.  But I still feel slightly anxious about it. I used to be ok attending events with strangers when I could smalltalk about my work and then swiftly...

Nr. 62

I don’t think I’ll be able to keep going each day with this blog. Which is actually very sad. When I started I felt so positive about it, but now I feel it has been consumed by negativity and depression. I don’t feel any better. I wanted this blog to be a safe haven for me, but I feel all I touch turn to ash. Depression is truly poisonous and it has altered my mind. I can’t think straight or find positivity. I’m truly struggling each day just to get out of bed. Some days I’ve not moved at all.  But on I go. The need to not hurt others is strong within me, as it is with most people suffering from depression; we know the pain a suicide will inflict. I definitely know all about it. Maybe in a morbidly poetic way my experience with death in my family is what might save me from committing suicide.  This might be the last entry for a while. I’ll return though. Hopefully more cheerful and with a deeper focus on philosophy and ideas, not just my depression.